Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Giving thanks

Dear Friends, 

When I lived in Ashland, VA, I celebrated Holy Eucharist once a month in the women’s section of the city jail.  During those services, when we got to the Prayers of the People, I invited the women to offer aloud their own petitions, and they always had a lot to say. 

 “For the special needs and concerns of this congregation,” I would prompt, and fervent prayer would rise from all corners of the room. 

“We thank you for all the blessings of this life,” I would continue…and again prayer would break out all over the room: Thank you that I woke up this morning.  Thank you for the gift of a new day.  Thank you that I am recovering from my addiction.  Thank you for my mother.  Thank you…  Thank you…  Thank you… 

By so many measures, those women had nothing.  They were incarcerated, wearing ill-fitting clothes, crammed together with strangers, enduring loneliness and uncertainty, undergoing punishment.  They were separated from family and friends.  And yet, when given a chance to name the blessings of their lives and to give God thanks for them, they could not stop talking. 

The most grateful people I have ever met were those women incarcerated in the Richmond City Jail.  They taught me a lot about perspective and privilege and giving thanks to God always and everywhere, as we pray every Sunday in the Eucharistic Prayer. 

As we celebrate Thanksgiving this week, let us indeed thank God for all the blessings of our lives.  I pray that our lists are long…  and loud… and an inspiration to those around us. 

Blessings to each of you, this Thanksgiving and always.

Anne+

No comments:

Post a Comment