Monday, May 21, 2018

Bread for the World: Advocating for Hungry People Near and Far


On June 11 and 12, John and I will be in Washington, DC, participating in Bread for the World’s annual Lobby Day.  Bread for the World is a collective Christian voice urging our nation’s decision makers to end hunger at home and abroad.  For more than 40 years, Bread for the World’s members have helped win bipartisan support for measures that address the causes of hunger.

I’ve been a member of Bread for the World since 2001, when I worked as an intern in its Church Relations department while serving in my first call, at Christ Church in Alexandria, VA.  I have participated in Lobby Day almost every year since then and am very much looking forward to taking part again this year. 

Bread for the World has taught me a lot about the importance of trying to address the causes of poverty and hunger in addition to carrying out the more typical church ministry of providing assistance to those in need.  The concept is simple:  If we were actually able to figure out how to stop hunger and homelessness, then we wouldn’t need food pantries and homeless shelters.  When I get overwhelmed by the world’s problems, the faithfulness and diligence of Bread for the World staff and members are sources of hope and inspiration for me. 

If you are interested in learning more about Bread for the World, visit the website at www.bread.org or talk to John or me.  Perhaps next year we can have a St. Andrew’s Church contingent participate in Lobby Day!

- Anne+

No comments:

Post a Comment