Monday, September 24, 2018

Pacing ourselves


Dear friends,

In our busy and chaotic world, with pressure to work ever-longer hours and accomplish more and more every day, with information assailing us from every direction and available 24/7, how do we pace ourselves?  How do we make space in our lives not only to hear God’s voice but also simply to be in God’s presence? 

The story of creation tells us that God rested on the seventh day.  For thousands of years, our Jewish brothers and sisters have set aside one day a week as a sabbath.  Jesus often went off by himself for quiet time with God.  Human beings profit from down time, time to reflect and re-center and even to play. You’ve probably heard it said that we are human beings, not human doings.  We forget that at our peril.

When I was a child, Sundays were a time when stores were closed and youth sports leagues had not yet started requiring Sunday participation.  Without the internet and cell phones, it was much easier for children and adults to get away and be away.  The world has changed, but our human need for rest and restoration, play time and pray time, has not changed.

How do you attend to that need in your life? 

One way I try to honor my need for restorative time is to use all of my given vacation, continuing education, and retreat time each year.  According to our letter of agreement, each year I have 23 work days of vacation, plus two weeks of continuing education and retreat time.  I know that Rob Marston liked to use all of his vacation days in one fell swoop, taking a month off each summer.  I’ve discovered that it works better for me if I spread out my vacation, retreat, and continuing ed days across the year.  This coming week I’ll be on retreat in Boston, re-centering through prayer and worship and silence at the Society of St. John the Evangelist monastery.  I am so grateful for that opportunity.

What about you?  As we enter the final quarter of 2018, how will you pace yourself and attend to your own needs for quiet time, for reflection, for prayer and rest and play? 

May the God who created and adores each one of us bless you with the wisdom, grace, and courage to pace yourself, finding and making and taking the time you need to nurture your soul and draw closer to the Lord and Giver of Life. 

Blessings,
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment