Monday, September 24, 2018

Why I give to St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church


When I was a child our family went to church every Sunday.  There was never any question or decision to be made week-to-week whether or not we were going – we were.  As we took our seats, daddy would give me a quarter to put into the offering plate.  As I got a little older, the quarter became a dollar.  But it was always money that was given to me, never my own money.

When I was a young adult I fell away from attending church except when visiting my parents.  But when Al and I married, we made the decision to attend regularly as a couple.  When the offering plate came around we gave, but we didn’t pledge.

Our lives progressed and we found ourselves the parents of two small children.  Following in our parents’ footsteps, we went to church every Sunday.  We gave each of the children a quarter to put in the offering plate.  One week our son asked what the money was for.  We said to help people in need and to take care of the church and the people who work there.  The next Sunday he emptied his whole piggy bank and put the money in the offering plate.  He was excited to be giving his own money.  The smile on his face said it all.  He was only 4 or 5, but he felt like he was doing something great and important!

That’s why we give to St. Andrew’s.  We know we are doing something great and important!  And we make a commitment through our pledge so our leaders can plan for the year with confidence.

St. Andrew’s has stood on this corner for a century.  Al and I have only been here for a short fraction of that time, but as your parish administrator, I’ve had a front row seat to all the good we do together and the way we care for one another and the greater community.  When someone asks what church I attend, I can’t help but feel a sense of pride when I answer, “I am a member of St. Andrew’s!”

Rachel Roby 

Commitment Sunday is November 4, 2018. Click here to learn more about St. Andrew's Abundant Blessings campaign and how you can support our ministry with your time, talent and treasure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment