Thursday, March 26, 2020

A Very Present Help

Years ago, my mother called with the upsetting news that my brother was believed to be having a heart attack. His family was asking for prayers. The words of two psalms immediately came to mind:
  • From Psalm 46: God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in time of trouble. 
  • And from Psalm 121: I lift up my eyes to the hills; from where is my help to come? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.
Those two psalms kept swirling in my head, and a trusting peace came over me in the midst of that storm.

Now, in the midst of a storm that affects everyone, no exceptions, we are in the fortunate position of being able to draw some reassurance from the Bible and our Hymnal. Sadly, not everyone has these resources in their consciousness.
  • From Hymn 671: Through many dangers, toils, and snares, I (we) have already come; ‘tis grace that brought me (us) safe thus far, and grace will lead me (us) home.
  • From Hymn 652: …speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire, O still, small voice of calm.
  • From Hymn 388: Frail children of dust, and feeble as frail, in thee do we trust, nor find thee to fail; thy mercies how tender! How firm to the end! Our Maker, Defender, Redeemer, and Friend!
These words, among many others, have sustained followers of Our Lord for many generations. Now is our time. 
 
-Brad Norris, Minister of Music

No comments:

Post a Comment