Sunday, September 4, 2016

Meet Jen Kimball, Interim Minister for Christian Formation

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not stop them;
for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.”

My own childhood was one where church was a second home.  We were there Sunday mornings, Sunday nights for youth group, Wednesday nights for children’s activities, other time for potlucks and outreach projects and fairs and softball games.  Then the church started a school, and suddenly I was there nearly every day!

With all these offerings for children and youth, my church raised me to believe that I belonged at church, my faith was important, countless adults cared about me, other kids loved God too, and I could take God’s love to the world no matter how old I was.

I never thought I would be a minister. I just don’t like talking that much. I started out as a high school English teacher, and then worked as a librarian for about ten years before entering seminary.  I thought maybe God could use me as a school chaplain.  I’ve been lucky enough to do just that, and also to work in a few parishes and diocesan summer camps.

Our culture has changed and we no longer live at church, but that makes the worship and programs we offer all the more important.  Each time a child or teenager or adult comes to St. Andrew’s, I want the same things for you that I had as a child: You belong here.  Your faith is important.  Countless adults care about you.  Other people love God too.  You can take God’s love to the world no matter how old you are.

Whether you are two years old or ninety-two, I look forward to walking along with you in your faith journey.

Rev. Jen Kimball
Interim Minister for Christian Formation

No comments:

Post a Comment