Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Freedom anyone?


Every year I get to celebrate Independence Day two times. As an American citizen, I join with other Americans celebrating the independence of my adopted country on the 4th of July. But also as a person born on the island of Jamaica, I celebrate with other Jamaicans the independence from Britain on the 6th of August. Therefore, at least twice a year I am reminded of the price of freedom, which was paid by the blood of both my American and Jamaican forebears.

Freedom is not free, as many people have stated, and that is true. But what is freedom, really? Let’s think first about what freedom is not. Freedom is not being allowed to do whatever I want to do. Freedom is not the same as “anything goes” either.

Freedom is strongly tied, in my opinion, to relationship. It is the freedom to be who God created you to be, connected to other people. We are not created to be lone wolves, because even wolves need connection with others from time to time. We are born to live in community.

God created us to live in freedom, where we are affirmed for the persons we are as God made us. We are also to ensure that others live with the same freedom to love, live in peace and safety, and have the opportunities to use their God-given talents and gifts. I am free because you are free.

So wherever and whenever we celebrate independence, let us keep in mind that God seeks for us to show love, engage compassionately and raise up and encourage each other.

Peace,
The Rev. Lorna H. Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment