Monday, November 30, 2020

Hoodrats

We often hear about people who are now actively using our Community Outreach Center (former school), but maybe we aren’t sure exactly who is doing what. One of those organizations, Families in Transition (FIT), offers children after-school enrichment opportunities, though the impact is far greater than that, as you might see in this reflection by FIT’s Executive Director Maura Hampton.

 “Hoodrat is a slang for people, coming from inner city circles, raised by the streets. Hoodrats are rarely well mannered, or educated, instead they are more characterized by a derelict upbringing, due to the hardships of hood life in most cities.  While some people, coming from the hood are able to break through the cultural barrier set in front of them, most people are left behind, to struggle in the midst of inner city difficulties.” (slanglang.net)

 I pulled into the parking lot and saw the children.  Desi, Miylah, and King were playing on the sidewalk when they saw my car.  “Mrs. Hampton!” they screamed and came running.  They made such a racket.  The excitement they felt at the sight of my car never ceases to amaze me.  By the time I parked and got out they were right there at my door, full of questions.  Miylah started peering in the windows, trying to see if I had any treats or toys for them.  I grabbed a small, boxed Christmas tree from my back seat and went to see Desi’s mother, Ms. Brooks.  The children were very curious about my package as we approached the hallway, and I turned to them and said, “I need to speak to Desi’s mother so I will see you later.”  Miylah, full of her usual antics started to ask more questions, so I reminded her it was none of her business, and stepped inside the hallway and knocked on the door.  “Who is it?” I heard Ms. Brooks say in a deep voice.  “It is Mrs. Hampton,” I said loudly so she could hear me over the sound from the t.v.  She opened the door and smiled when she saw me.  “Ms. Brooks, I have a Christmas tree for you.  A lady heard about your need and bought you a new one.”  Her face lit up.  She told me that she kept her artificial tree at her sister’s storage unit, and it became infested with bedbugs.  “Thank you so much Mrs. Hampton.  You have no idea what this means.  Now I can use the money for the tree towards my rent.”

 I asked her about her job search, and about how her children were doing.   We talked about how excited the children are about our new ministry space.  I said we will be able to have space to do homework, play at the park, offer art and music, and have a weekly bible study.  “Daveon believes in Jesus, Mrs. Hampton.  I heard him tell the kids that Christmas was Jesus’ birthday, and not about presents,” she said.  “Ms. Brooks, your children have been coming to our bible study for 3 years, and I have seen Daveon grow in his faith and knowledge of the Lord.  He has a sincere faith.” I said.  She got tears in her eyes.  She told me that Daveon always prays before dinner.  I asked her about Jhernee, her daughter in the seventh grade.  She indicated that she is doing well except in two classes.  She had all A’s and is upset because she has two B’s.  “Mrs. Hampton, it is hard for Jhernee because the twins bother her when she is doing her homework.  This week she was working on a paper, and she kept getting distracted.  Writing is not her strength, and she got a 70 on her paper.  She was so upset, she cried.”  “Ms. Brooks, I want you to know that when I plan for our new space, I think of your children.  I want Jhernee to have a quiet place to work on her homework after school.”

 She appeared to be touched by this and told me that Jhernee would be excited.  She shared that Jhernee never goes outside.  “She will only go with you Mrs. Hampton.  Otherwise she is afraid.  She just doesn’t have any ‘mean’ in her” she said.  “I know she doesn’t. And I know how tough it is out here on the streets.  That is why I hope Jhernee will come even though she is in middle school.  She can use our office, a place all her own so she will be able to concentrate.” I said.  “That would be so nice Mrs. Hampton.  Nobody thinks about us out here.  Even the people who live in the houses across the street from us, they call our kids “hood rats.”  These kids aren’t bad, they are just a product of their environment,” she said.

We talked for a while longer, but I honestly don't remember much else from our conversation.  I was upset by the thought that people would refer to anyone as a "hoodrat."  I wished Ms. Brooks Happy Thanksgiving, and I headed outside.  When I got in my car, the kids came over to say goodbye.  I opened my door and Desi leaned in and put her arms around me and lay her head in my chest.  I leaned down and gave her a kiss on the head.  “I love you Desi.” I said.  “I love you too.” She replied. “And you know who I love too?  God.”  And she lifted her head and looked at me with her big beautiful dark eyes.  These precious children are created and loved by God.  They are made in His image.  And it is in their faces, that I see the Lord most clearly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment