Tuesday, July 27, 2021

St. Andrew's Outreach Center makes a difference in the lives of children

One of our Outreach Center tenants is Families in Transition (FIT). FIT offers children from the neighboring community a safe and encouraging place for virtual learning. “In the last year there have been five shootings and one stabbing in the community these children call home,” said Maura Hampton, program director. “There is no way I can possibly communicate what our program meant to these children, and their parents, in the midst of this increased violence.”

St. Andrew’s Outreach Center helps to make it possible for FIT to provide this programming – art and STEM projects, Bible study, snacks, and a home base for field trips, including Monty’s for ice cream!
 
“We aren’t in a bad place here,” said one student. “When we’re at our houses, there’s a lot of noise. I actually get help here. They make sure I’m okay and believe in me a lot. They also make me finish my work – but in a good way,” said another. 
 
Learn more about FIT at www.fitnn.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment