Tuesday, September 13, 2022

The Prayer Shawl Ministry

 

The first time I encountered Prayer Shawls was in St. Augustine the day after my son’s wedding.  There were about two dozen shawls spread over the rail which were blessed in the middle of the service and then the Rector and two others took a shawl to an elder of the congregation and put it around her shoulders and prayed with her.  I was so moved by this experience – the beauty and variety of the shawls, the corporate nature of the blessing and gifting, the visible way in which a person was wrapped in the love and prayers of the whole parish family.  It was a few years later when I began this ministry in Pennsylvania and twelve years later, I am blessed to be able to continue making shawls for others.
 
Yes, I am blessed.  Making shawls is a slow process knitting or crocheting one stitch at a time – looping yarn and pulling it through a previous stitch – to make a shawl.  It is done prayerfully – mindful of the recipient, whether known or unknown, each stitch a blessing for that person.  Some people make shawls in silent contemplation.  Others in a small group with conversation about and care for those who will receive them.  I am often with others as I work on a shawl, being prayerful as I begin and end, but talking with others.  It does not matter how we make shawls – what matters is our prayerful intent.  I am blessed.  I have made about 100 shawls in the past 12 years, and I find myself settled, stilled, focused on God and His care for us as I work.  I know people who have deepened their spiritual lives and changed how they listen to people who are sharing their troubles through the process of making shawls.  I treasure the stories of how shawls have made a difference in the lives of recipients.  A woman who received her shawl in the last few months of her life was so affected by the experience that she was buried with it.  An 80+ year old veteran and widower said, “Who would do this for me?”  A woman whose husband was just placed in hospice care used hers as a comfort in his final weeks.
 
This Sunday we will once again bless shawls.  I invite you to seriously weave your prayers with ours as you gaze upon them during the service.  As you come to Communion, place your hands on them and add your prayers.   These shawls are kept in the parish hall and are available for parishioners to gift to people in need whether illness, life crisis, or transition... the needs are many.  We ask that you pray with the person as you give it, and we love to hear stories about the experience! 
 
There are not many people who are working to make shawls at the moment, and we would always welcome your contribution!  We will teach you to knit or crochet.  You don’t have to come to meetings either, although you are welcome to join us on Tuesdays at 1 PM in the library.
 
Carol Chamberlain

No comments:

Post a Comment