Tuesday, November 29, 2022

St. Andrew's approaching a crossroads

 

Dear friends,

As you may know, I have a terrible sense of direction.  (Just ask John Herbst!)  So when I drive, I rely on GPS to get me where I need to go.  An especially helpful feature of my GPS is a picture showing me which lane to be in when I am approaching a big intersection.  I may know my ultimate destination, but I need guidance through the major crossroads I encounter on the way there.
 
We at St. Andrew’s are approaching a major crossroads.  As you’ll hear at our December 4 congregational meeting, we cannot continue down the road we’ve been following.  Our current path in relation to facility utilization and expenses is not sustainable.  So we have big decisions to make in 2023 about how to navigate the crossroads at which we are arriving.  We need to make those decisions in light of our ultimate destination:  creating a strong foundation for the next 100 years of life and ministry at St. Andrew’s.  
 
Note that a foundation is not the same as a completed building.  We do not and cannot know exactly what will be needed decades from now, and the people who come after us in this place will have many of their own decisions to make about how best to follow God’s call in their own time.  So the questions we will be dealing with in the weeks and months to come are these:  What kind of foundation do we want to lay, with God’s help, for the future of this parish?  How can we be intentional about laying that foundation?  How can the many resources currently at our disposal, especially our facilities, help us to lay that foundation?  And how will the foundation we lay for the future be different from what we are currently doing?
 
Notice my repeated use of the word “we.”  Through God’s grace and by God’s calling, we are in this together, with the Holy Spirit as our GPS (God’s positioning system?).  The crossroads is nearing.  I look forward to navigating it with you, trusting in the Spirit who at this very moment is recalculating on our behalf.  See you at the meeting on Dec. 4th!
 
Blessings. -Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment