Monday, March 13, 2023

Homeward Bound

In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed
When the sparrows stop their singing and the sky is clear and red
When the summer’s ceased its gleaming, when the corn is past its prime
When adventure’s lost its meaning I’ll be homeward bound in time
Bind me not to the pasture, chain me not to the plow
Set me free to find my calling and I’ll return to you somehow

If you find it's me you're missing, if you’re hoping I'll return
To your thoughts, I'’ll soon be listening and in the road, I'll stop and turn
Then the wind will set me racing as my journey nears its end
And the path I’ll be retracing when I’m homeward bound again
In the quiet misty morning when the moon has gone to bed
When the sparrows stop their singing I’ll be homeward bound again

Homeward Bound was written by Marta Keen Thompson around 1991, and it has become one of most performed contemporary choral works.  Finding one’s true calling in life often involves embarking upon a new phase of life’s journey, wanting to grow and change – but knowing you will return to those you love

This song is a illustration of the emotional pull towards home after leaving to seek one’s calling somewhere else in the world.  I would say that most us have “gone” somewhere during our life time, even if it was just college or possibly military service.  Quite frequently the song is performed when a group of soldiers return home.

Could it be a reflection of one’s life?  Could it be a reminder of the second coming of Christ?  Could it be God walking with us regardless of what is happening in our lives?  Could it be we have strayed and want to return home?  Could it mean that there might be another home for us to look forward to?   May we always be homeward bound somewhere.

Bill Wilds

No comments:

Post a Comment