Monday, July 24, 2023

I go to sing

When I’m practicing hymns or choir anthems, I often sing along so I can get the pacing and phrasing just right. It’s tedious work, so imagine my delight when I was running through dozens of hymns for the July 23 Hymn Sing and a voice came floating down the hallway to join mine. Bill Wilds and I got so caught up in the merriment that we sat side by side for about half an hour just singing hymn after hymn.

In January of 2019, Lindy Thompson,  a poet and colleague of mine, wrote a blog post titled  “I Go to Sing.” It went viral among us churchy types and, four years later, I still see friends re-sharing it on social media. I encourage you to click the hyperlink (or search the title and her name) to read the whole poem, but here is an excerpt:

               I might be exhausted and the children might be cranky,

               but I will be going to church on Sunday.

               Don’t know who is preaching, doesn’t matter –

               the sermon may be helpful or not, holds my attention or doesn’t --it’s the singing.

               I go to sing.

               When we are singing, I can feel the better world coming,

               and if I get to be a part of it, you do too . . .

               so sing with me,

               and we’ll make our way down that blessed road together,

               collectively better than we ever thought possible.

Singing with Bill this week reminded me of the ineffable power of congregational song. It summons our awareness of God’s presence. It solidifies our conviction that faith can move mountains, that hope springs eternal. And that love always has the last word.

I enjoyed singing with you at our Old Fashion Hymn Sing last Sunday!

We hope this can become an annual tradition.

Ginny Chilton

 

No comments:

Post a Comment