Saturday, September 28, 2019

2020 Pledge Campaign: Reflections on Gracious Giving


"The church is a triangle," Cliff whispered to me in the pew, repeating his observation later during Children's Chapel. As he held his little fingers together in the shape of this three-sided figure, the other children copied him as we named the holy Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In unscripted moments like this, I am filled with gratitude and moved by God's love. He has always called me to ministry with the young through teaching Sunday School, leading vacation bible school, mentoring confirmands, and sponsoring youth groups. I see God's love for creation when I work with children.

 As it was Instructed Eucharist Sunday that week, we took a little field trip to the sacristy where the children could see the small space where so much takes place before and after services. As they marveled at the shiny brass and silver items as well as the flowers by the sink, I recalled the many special moments I have shared with folks on the altar guild while arranging flowers. Sometimes, it's just two or three of us working together and sharing concerns or joys. Other times, both the altar and flower guilds are almost dancing around each other in that confined area, helping set the stage for our beautiful services. 

I am grateful for this opportunity to reflect on what St Andrew’s means to me and how I belong to its parish. As the season of stewardship is upon is, I consider once again what I am giving to the church as one of its members, and in return for what I receive. As Jason Knudeson preached to us from Luke's parable of the shrewd steward, we give of our time, talents, and treasure because Christ called us to do so. 

 Karen Waddill

No comments:

Post a Comment