Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Happy New Year

 I came that they might have life and have it abundantly.

John 10:10, NRSV
 
The new year is often a time when we set new year’s resolutions. When I was growing up, popular culture would always remind me that January 1st is the time to turn a critical lens on every aspect of my life. Whether it was my home, my finances, or my own body, it was time to list what was wrong and make a plan to fix it.
 
It doesn’t take long to realize that starting from a place of negativity–being constantly critical of yourself–makes our own noble goals doomed to failure. For all the ills that it has brought on our society, one positive product of social media is allowing people of different body types, income levels, and lifestyles to have a significant influence on my life. Through social media I follow parents who remind each other that we clean our homes because we love ourselves and our families (not because we’re disgusting slobs if we don’t). I follow people who saute up a tasty meal because it makes them feel good (not only because it satisfies a certain calorie goal). I follow people who find joy in consuming less, and who also give themselves grace if they don’t always meet their own standards. I’m reminded that focusing on life gives us life, which is exactly what our tradition believes about Jesus. Jesus came not to condemn but to uplift. As we step boldly into 2023 I’m grateful that the God who came to earth in human form, who at Easter proves that life always wins, is the God who fills our hearts and goals with abundant life.
 
Ginny Chilton

No comments:

Post a Comment