Monday, January 23, 2023

What gives you hope?

Dear friends,

The clergy coach I work with texts me twice a week to check in.  She sends me questions that she and I have agreed upon ahead of time, and they arrive in my phone on Tuesdays and Fridays.  One of the current questions is, “What gives you hope about the future of St. Andrew’s?” 
 
I am really enjoying working with that question.  Just this past week, I was privileged to witness all kinds of things at St. Andrew’s that give me hope:  our dedicated staff problem-solving and supporting one another; parishioners providing tender pastoral care, including taking a vulnerable parish friend out for lunch, washing the hair of a parishioner recovering from surgery, and delivering yet another fresh-cooked meal; loving adults leading Children’s Chapel for a growing group of youngsters (17 on a recent Sunday!); quiet, competent, faithful ministry behind the scenes by our finance folks and counters, the altar and flower guilds, our hardworking junior warden, and so many others.
 
Like all churches, St. Andrew’s faces many challenges in this post-Christendom society.  But then again, the early church faced many challenges (including persecution and martyrdom!) in the pre-Christendom society, and look how that original, uninspiring group of 12, with Jesus’ help, changed the world. 
 
When you get tempted to despair about the future of the Church, I encourage you to try the simple exercise of identifying the things happening here in our midst that give you hope.  You’ll be glad you did.
 
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit (Rom 15:13).  That is my prayer for you, and for me.
 
Blessings.  -Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment