Thursday, June 15, 2023

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life

On one of my first Sundays at St. Andrew’s we sang Hymn 382: King of Glory, King of Peace. It’s a lesser-known hymn so I was pleasantly surprised to hear the congregation sing out so boldly. I knew I was in the right place when my new congregation knew one of my favorite hymns so well.

 
The text of “King of Glory, King of Peace” is by George Herbert, who is one of my favorite poets. The other of Herbert’s poems that made it into our hymnal is 487, “Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life,” with music by Ralph Vaughan Williams. It was the offertory anthem last Sunday.  Here is the full text.

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
such a way as gives us breath;
such a truth as ends all strife;
such a life as killeth death.
 
Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength:
Such a light as shows a feast;
such a feast as mends in length;
such a strength as makes his guest.
 
Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart:
such a joy as none can move;
such a love as none can part;
such a heart as joys in love.
 
- Ginny Chilton, Minister of Music

No comments:

Post a Comment