Monday, June 5, 2023

Joshua 24:15

 "...as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." 

I'm just going to say it: There is a rising tide of hate in our country, creating a rip current of dehumanization and violence, and often in the name of God.  Christians have one job - one job - and that is to love.  I'll quote Bishop Curry again: If it's not about love, it's not about God.  And I'll say this again, too: you cannot dehumanize someone (made in the image of God) and claim Christlike love at the same time.

In this current era of seismic cultural shift and the process of assessment that our Sacred Direction Task Force and Vestry are currently walking through, Joshua's (24:15) imperative holds as true today as it did when it was written probably somewhere in the thirteenth century, maybe even more so, given today's rising tide: Who will you choose to be?  Choose this day who you will serve.  As American citizens, as people who claim the Christian faith, as Episcopalians, as members of St. Andrew's, who will we choose to be?  Echoing Joshua: As for me and this St. Andrew's household, we will choose love; we will serve the Lord.

--Marc

No comments:

Post a Comment