Tuesday, September 3, 2024

September

September has always been an overwhelming month, with start ups, potential hurricanes and being in a new place in my life. Most of my moves have permeated this month, and start ups always follow endings, whether it be the end of summer, or of a life phase.

Having moved to a rural area to be closer to family and to live in a one story house near water, I had expected some semblance of calm and simplicity. From my kitchen window I have a view of generational comings and goings, and I am reminded of my younger years of motherhood segueing into empty nesting and grandparenthood, as this move has been marked by the entrance of a second great grandchild  (Forehand), and the engagement of a grandchild (Margaret to Nash).  A flurry of wedding planning has begun 14 months before the expected wedding on Nantucket.

Since my work in the world involves a lot of companioning people through endings, this is a major change for me, as I have the best seat in the house to watch my three children, my 7 grandchildren, 3  bonus grandchildren, and now two great grandchildren in their life passages with very few distractions.

I am reminded of the reading from Ecclesiastes as I step into September this year.

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:2a time to be born, and a time to die;

a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;3a time to kill, and a time to heal;

a time to break down, and a time to build up;

a time to weep, and a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and a time to dance;5a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;

a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

a time to seek, and a time to lose;

a time to keep, and a time to throw away;

a time to tear, and a time to sew;

a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

a time to love, and a time to hate;

a time for war, and a time for peace.

Loving and ever patient God, In this new season of life, may I be aware and present to the times that bring joy, and may I endure the harder times with grace, and gain wisdom from them. Amen.

—Katherine Gray

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment